Thursday, September 30, 2010

Easy, Affordable, and Personalized Children's Art


Do you ever wish you had cute, modern art for your child's room that doesn't cost a ton?  I know that it can be difficult to find exactly what you're looking for, so why not make it yourself? And as an added bonus...it can be meaningful and personal!  

I made this piece of art in Photoshop Elements for my son's 1st birthday.  

1) I opened up a photo that I took for his 1st birthday in PSE.

2) I chose my foreground color and my background color (orange and white)

3) I went to the Filter tab at the top menu bar.
Under the filter tab, I went to sketch and chose stamp effect.

4) I played around with the light/dark balance and smoothness until I found a happy medium.

5) I added one more gold/yellow color for the sky.

6) I added the first letter of his name in the foreground color and decreased the opacity just a tad. 

And voila!!  There you have it!  SO SIMPLE!

I found that it works best when you have some strong graphic prints in the photo like stripes or when the subject is against a simple background.  My photo worked well because it's a bit more artistic in the sense that his face is away from the camera.  Also, you could add numbers, a fancier monogram or an initial in a fresh, modern font, etc.  Be creative!  That's the fun of it!   

I would love to see your finished products if you try this out!  Email it to me at recipe4cute@gmail.com and I will try to post the results for all to see!

7 comments:

  1. SO so very cute, EM. i love this!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous! I might take pictures of my kids just so that I can try this! Thanks for another great and fun idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - this is amazing! Even though I kind of know my way around Photoshop (most of the times) I'm not good when it comes to Photoshop Elements so thanks a lot for sharing! I'm off to find a picture of my little niece to try it out - and I think I just found a great Christmas present ;-)!
    Thanks for sharing
    Linda // www.paperphine.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this. Came by way of a crafting daily email. Thanks!
    M...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this so much! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that's awesome! I need to find a good photo to try this with. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is amazing! ps of any sort os on my wanting list and this is making me crave it even more. just stunning!

    ReplyDelete