Wednesday, April 27, 2011

May Day is on Sunday

Oh my, it has been busy around here!!  
John is home from Italy (we missed him!!!) and we made it home safely from Wenatchee.  I tried to drive home to Seattle on Friday morning (normally 2.5 hours), but ended up spending 5 hours in the car, only to turn back around because of a major accident blocking all four lanes of the highway!  Whew, that was a long day!  I stopped and got Michael a milkshake to help tide him over on the car ride BACK to Wenatchee...some of which he drank...and some of which he poured all over himself and everything in the backseat :)  Ha, at the point I wasn't even phased by it.  Ya just got to laugh at those moments 'cause hey, at least we were safe and he was happy after sitting for 5 hours.
We did finally make it home Saturday morning...hooray!



source

So now it's Wednesday and I haven't even mentioned anything about Easter.  Ours was relaxing...spending some much needed time together as a fam.  We enjoyed our Sunday morning by attending church and celebrating the resurrection of Jesus Christ.  Michael came home and took a marathon nap (which we took advantage of and took nice naps ourselves!) and then he woke up and hunted for his Easter basket.  Normally he probably would have hunted for it on Saturday, but we were so busy that day, I didn't even finish putting it together until about 11pm that night...ah well!  His favorite treat?  John's favorite: CHOCOLATE!  My husband is the chocolate lover of the two of us...to be specific, dark chocolate!  Ha, Michael inherited that gene of his :)

We had our neighbor over for dinner and another friend whose wife was out of town.  It really was a lovely evening!  I used a recipe from the little books I get each month, Everyday Food by Martha Stewart.  
I have a new FAVORITE cake!!  It was so tasty!!  I made fresh whipped cream for the top and added some fresh strawberries.  The secret is the lime juice and zest...AH-MA-ZING!

Coconut-Lime Berry Cake
3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temp.
1 and 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. coarse salt
1 cup packed sweetened and shredded coconut
1 cup white sugar (you can substitute 3/4 cup of honey)
3 large eggs
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 tsp. lime zest
2 TBSP. lime juice
3 cups mixed berries (I used frozen blueberries and raspberries)
3 TBSP. orange juice

Preheat oven to 350.  In a large bowl, mix flour, coconut, salt, and baking powder together.  In a separate large bowl, combine sugar and butter and mix on high until fluffy, about 4 min.  Mix in eggs to the butter mix, one by one.  Add flour mixture in three additions, alternating the buttermilk.  Stir in lime zest and juice.  Pour batter into dish and smooth top with rubber spatula. Mix together berries and orange juice. Scatter berries and juice over batter.  Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.  Serve with fresh whipped cream and fresh strawberries (or berries of your choice)! Be prepared to go back for seconds :)

Sorry I didn't take a pic...we were too busy eating :)

So I *thought* Michael and I were over our sickness, but it came back again this week in full force, so we took a trip to the doctor's office today...sinus infection for me, ear infection for him :(  Poor kiddo!!  Just takin' it easy this week so we can GET HEALTHY ALREADY!


May Day is THIS SUNDAY!  Did you celebrate May Day as a kid?  My mom always helped us make little care packages with flowers or cookies to hang on our neighbor's doors...we thought we were so sneaky ringing the doorbell and running away...HAHAHA!  I laugh because we were the ONLY kids on the cul-de-sac...who else was going to do the ding and ditch routine?!  


I love classic, simple ideas to celebrate spring...and maybe I'm partial to May since that's the month of my birthday.  


A couple of cute and creative ideas that have inspired me lately...LOVE the idea of putting flowers in a cute umbrella!

Carryout bouquet


Or what about using take-out boxes?  And you could even do sugar cookies with frosting flowers instead of real flowers...no allergies to worry about!

source


Or if your are trying to avoid allergies, you could make a floral-scented candle in a delicate tea cup.  Second-hand stores are great places to find inexpensive and unique tea cups.  


I think any of these simple gifts would be so much fun to deliver to friends and neighbors!  Hopefully I'll be feeling up to making some goodies soon so I can continue this sweet tradition with my own family.  I'd love to see your May Day gifts if you make some.  





3 comments:

  1. hi! i found your site through "stumble upon" - what an. amazing. blog you have! i'm so inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi delaney! Wow, such kind words! Thank you...made my day :)
    I looked at some of your illustrations...your "work smile" one had me rolling...hilariously clever :) LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely idea with the tea cups.I love tea cups but don't drink tea, so this would be a great to buy some and turn them into gifts or to display in my own home.

    ReplyDelete