Friday, March 30, 2012

In less than 12 hours...

...we leave for LONDON!!

I'm jittery with excitement just typing that!  John and I are like little kids going to Disneyland...we're over-the-top excited!!  I've never been, but have always wanted to go...John's been a few times for work, but never explored, so we can't wait to experience it all together!!

Ever since I was a little girl, London has always been the setting of magic books in my mind...think about it...so many childhood stories are based in London:

Peter Pan
Winnie the Pooh
Peter Rabbit
Harry Potter
A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
Mary Poppins
The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe...
...just to name a few!



EEEEeeeeee :)  That's me screaming inside!


These are just a few things we're going to do (good thing that lots of these sites are within walking distance!)

Visit and Explore
Natural History Museum
Big Ben and Parliament
Changing of the guards
London Bridge
Tower of London and Crown Jewels 
Eye of London (Ferris Wheel)
Buckingham Palace
Westminster Abbey
Notting Hill
Portobello Road
Ride a double decker bus
All the beautiful parks and statues

Eat
Indian food 
Turkish Food
Fish and chips (of course!)
Tea Time

Night Attractions
Wicked Musical (super excited for this!)

Shopping
Hamley's Toy Store
Mr. Humbug's Candy Store
Top Shop
Liberty of London
Paperchase
Zara
Mango
Boden


We'll spend 4 days there and then 4 days in another one of our favorite cities:  Paris!!!  We're taking the chunnel under the ocean (still sounds so unreal to me!) and since we know a little more about this city, we have some definite to-do's, but we'll also enjoy some down time for picnics in the park and wandering the streets and getting lost.


Considering John has been gone traveling 6 out of the last 13 weeks for work, it's an understatement when I say I'm SUPER excited to have him all to myself for 9 whole days!!  And because he's been traveling so dang much, he had a bunch of free upgrades, so we get to fly first class round-trip!  I still have to pinch myself when I say that...I think John is more excited about this part of the trip because he knows how amazing it will be for me to fly WITH A BED across the Atlantic!  He does it all the time for work, but it'll be my first time!  Wow!  I don't think it'll hit me until I'm able to lay down when I'm sleepy!  Trust me, this won't be a regular occurrence, so I'll live it up and love it while I can :)  My parents are taking care of our bitsy boy and I know he's going to have a BLAST with them...always does!

Thanks for letting me share my excitement with you :)  If you are in London or Paris and have suggestions (or have been to either city yourself), I'd love any recommendations!  

7 comments:

  1. AAAAAHHHHH!!! Sounds like Heaven!! And when Dan was traveling a lot, I would LONG and CRAVE one on one time... so I know how ecstatic you must be to just "be" together!!!! You guys deserve it so much!! And your plane ride doesn't sound too shabby either:) Dan's brother served his mission in England but I've never been so I have no suggestions. Just take lots of pics so we can live vicariously through you, ha ha.

    Have fun--totally jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yeah, and the musical Wicked is pretty cute! I saw it when we lived in Boston a few years back.. I bet it will be even better in England! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooo, so glad to hear you liked Wicked...I've heard only good things about it! Thanks for being excited with me...I CAN'T WAIT :) Definitely taking my camera!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO happy and excited for you! London has always been super magical to me too...the entire history of it up until now. I will seriously watch You Tube videos of street scenes of London back in the 50s, 60s, etc. Yes, obsessed. My parents lived in London for a year and a half between South Africa and the US and their photos are great. They lived near Portobello Road. My Mom was doing her medical school residency. They were there the year ABBA won the big Eurovision song contest that set them on their path to stardom; they watched it live on TV! I went to London but as a 4-year-old so I remember next to nothing! Okay, I'm going on and on. CAN'T wait to see your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW!!!! It sounds all so dreamy, I'm so happy for you guys.
    We will spend the summer in Oxford, so if you decide to come back, then we should play together :-)
    Make sure you claim your miles, because you get more by flying first class. I've only done business class and it was SO nice that after the 13+ hour flight I did not want to get off. Have a wonderful time, I loved Wicked, the, music, the stage, the costumes and the twist, all wonderful.
    Enjoy enjoy enjoy :-)
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  6. If it isn't too late you should try shopping at Primark! It is wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could die from all the envy I have of your trip, style and beautiful art skills! Everything is amazing and I hope all your dreams come true in London, Paris and on your new book idea! We send our love :)

    ReplyDelete