Monday, March 12, 2012

New Art/Style: I need your opinion please!!

 Happy Happy Monday everyone!

I wanted to share one of the many new illustrations I've been working on and ask for your help!

I'm trying out a few different techniques to see which one I like the most.

In the past, I've used Micron pens to outline my drawings.  Lately, I've been outlining with different types of pencils because I like the shading I can add...it gives the illustration some depth and dimension.  

I've included 2 different versions and I would really appreciate your input:

Do you prefer:  
#1 with pencil outline 

OR

#2 without dark pencil outline (this is actually outlined in colored pencil).

If you could leave a quick comment with your preferred choice of 1 or 2 (and why, if you have time), it would mean so much to me !  I tend to lean toward #1 myself.

This is the first illustration in a series of 3:  FAITH, HOPE, and LOVE.
As a little girl, I had a vintage trio of these 3 words on my wall...it's safe to say that they inspired me :)

Wouldn't this 'Faith' print look cute in a room with this color scheme?  

All my sketches are complete and now I'm working on the watercolors when my munchkin is napping or in bed for the night.  In the next few days, I'll share some more progress with you.

Thank you my sweet friends for your help!

16 comments:

  1. I actually like #2 better. I prefer the smooth, more delicate edges from the color pencil than the sharp edges from the black pencil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like #1 better. I love the way the black outline makes it stand out from the background and really shows off all the details.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Em! They're both fabulous, but I think I like #1 better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Em!! It's hard to critique your stuff, b/c honestly it's too cute to say which is better--they're BOTH darling. I think overall, though. I love #1. I especially like the hair in #1..has more contrasting colors, depth and definition than the later. I love the shoes in #1 too...shows off the monochromatic fading of coloring better and it's more pleasing to the eye. so darling. I do have to say however that I like the skirt better in #2 for some reason?!

    Love you stuff, always have! This illustration is adorable. Keep up the good work:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the feedback everyone!! I REALLY do appreciate it so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the way the detail stands out in the braids and boots on #1, but I like the color of her face better in #2. It might be too stark a contrast with the black pen? Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Umm......hard choice!!! I like #1 the best but #2's richer hair color. Either way, when will this be available in your shop!!?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the first one better, no real explanation why. I"m not artistic but to my eyes the first one is better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Number 2, no doubt! It is more delicate, and delicate is the idea you like to give I think...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would have to say the first one :) It's really cute!! Well, they both are!! I like them BOTH!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. All these comments help so much!! Thanks for taking a moment to give me your thoughts :) I will make one final version based on your comments and my own personal taste. If anyone else has a suggestion, feel free to comment!

    @Cailean-I will put up a final version in another blog post and officially put it in the shop...very soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are adorable! Initially, I would have said #1 as it jumped out at me more. But then I realized I do prefer the lack of black outline in the second. So I vote for the technique in #2, but for some reason prefer the girl in #1. How's that for totally unhelpful! You've got so much talent!

    ReplyDelete
  13. There is something about #2 I really like, but I don't know what it is. Softer? Gentler? Not sure but it works.

    ReplyDelete
  14. #1 is my favorite. I just loved that it is outlined and the face is softer.

    ReplyDelete
  15. #1 is my fav. You are my fav. Hope you're having fun abroad! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are both great in different ways! If I were to have a large print for a room decoration, I would love #2, but seeing it smaller, on my computer screen, I love the first one.

    ReplyDelete