Friday, March 16, 2012

Piglets Over Paris

Growing up with a Parisian grandmother is a gift that I know I'll always treasure.  When she married my grandfather, they moved to the USA and she hardly spoke any English.  Over the years, she perfected her grammar, but always had a strong accent (which I became pretty good at impersonating) :)  On visits to her house as a child, I would wake up early in the morning to the sound of her speaking to her sisters in Paris on the telephone (in French of course).  I always wanted to know what they were talking about...something very top secret I'm sure...like gardening and grandkids and new recipes.  All of my grandparents have passed away including my French grandmother, and I hold the memories that I made with each one of them so close to my heart.  I miss them all.

A trip to France last year with my husband got me thinking...a lot!

I mean, first of all (in my humble opinion), what isn't dreamy and inspiring about Paris?!



Around every cobblestone corner you'll find charming buildings dating back decades, cozy cafes that serve the richest hot chocolate, beautiful parks and fountains, shops with the cutest displays in the windows, art museums filled with original paintings by Monet, Degas, and Van Gogh...my list could go on and on...but I'll spare you :) 



When we returned home and I was looking through my photos, an idea struck:
'I want to write a story with characters inspired by my grandparents.'



Thus, my first story came into focus:  Piglets Over Paris

I've been working on the storyline and coming up with character sketches and scenarios.  It's been fun bouncing ideas around with my family.  Why piglets, you ask?  Why not :)  They're cute, have loads of personality, and they are fun to draw wearing clothes!  And the title is pretty catchy too :)  

I always think it's fun to peek into artist's studios and see sketches/ideas/rough drafts before the final piece is complete.  It's a book in progress that I don't intend on rushing because it's been fun to work on little by little alongside of my other projects.  I want to get it just right for my grand'mere :)  Oh, and mom, if you're reading this, I'm already coming up with sketches for grandma and grandpa's story!  There will definitely be pumpkins involved :)  

I'm curious...have your grandparents inspired your life?  Feel free to share if you'd like!

5 comments:

  1. I am in love with these!!! Can't wait to see the finished product. So cute, Em! I love the whole idea!! A girl I know back home, Hayley...loves all things French. She's got super cute taste, has been to France many times, and she even likes french names. She named her daughter Monet. How cute is that? Anyway.... I'll have to show her the finished results when you're all done. She'd love it. I love all the photos you took while in France. I am dying to go there someday! Seems so magical. I'll start begging Dan to take me sooner rather than later:) ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh la la! Quel bonne idee et que c'est adorable! Merci pour le sneak peek. You must do a version en francais aussi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is THE CUTEST idea! I agree with Allegra - can't wait to see the finished product. Our daughter Julia absolutely loves pigs so this will be so perfect for her. I loved France/Paris my whole growing up years - obsessed. I only went there as a small kid, age 3 or 4, when my parents took us all over Europe. There's something so romantic about the city - you've probably seen "An American In Paris" - a musical. To answer your question, my grandparents have greatly inspired my life. Two had passed away before I was born and their legacy was strong, two wrote to me when I was growing up from their faraway countries and I met my grandfather when I was 2 and have no memories of him. All of my grandparents had great struggles for religious and physical freedoms that we take for granted now. There is so much we can learn from previous generations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea - I can't wait to see your final product. Though I'm glad you're taking your time and enjoying the process. Please do keep us posted on it. Beautiful photos, as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. aww, thanks ladies :) No wonder I love you all so much! You're so encouraging and just genuine friends :)

    Cailean-thanks for sharing about your grandparents...it's so true! i think past generations have so much life experience that they can teach us!!

    ReplyDelete